Foreward

Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Philip Kaes - South African 924’s


Some months earlier, I had a call from Fred Schulz one day out of the blue and he told me Philip Kaes had left Porsche AG and had gone to work for the Porsche importer in South Africa. I was somewhat taken back by this news as Philip was a dyed in the wool Porsche Factory man, but I assumed the story would come out in due course. A very nice man called Jos Ostendorf took over his role at Porsche AG Ludwigsburg.  Philip who was a sad loss for me personally as I could really work with him and he understood our point of view and made his own decisions accordingly and of course he was the man that got us started.
At that time as Philip had a lot of inside knowledge that he took with him, the first thing he did when he arrived in South Africa was to cancel eight Porsche 924 orders. Philip knew the Porsche 944 was due to be released soon and so he did not want older Porsche 924 models showing up, even if they were new, which may have been difficult to sell.
As South African specification and British were very similar, Fred Shultz called me and asked me if we would take the eight cars, which were already specified. There were 3 x Porsche 924 turbo and 5 x 924 regular ones. They had all been ordered and were either in production or waiting to be shipped.
I took them all gratefully as getting an additional batch of cars helped us and in the process we were helping the factory out.
I then convinced my partners that we should each collect a car as Tourist Deliveries for our summer holidays and sell them in the UK once we had finished. I set up a deal with three end user customers in the UK, who were friends of people we knew, and we took three of the eight cars into the Great Britain that summer as personal used imports on Z plates, which also got around the C-16 specifications. I made sure these did not end up with grey markets dealers, as I did not want to tread on Porsche Cars Great Britain toes and upset John Aldington who was very supportive of us.
We sold the other cars on to customers in Bahrain for re-export at later dates.
It was funny that Ed Peter completely turned a blind eye to these RHD South African cars, as he knew we were selling some of them into the UK or importing them to Bahrain after our summer holidays. The eight cars were effectively his problem so when it was convenient, he looked the other way, a totally different story from a few months earlier when he was complaining of us selling RHD C16 cars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment